Mike is the Head of Infrastructure, Energy and Telecommunications for Nedbank CIB, part of Nedbank Limited, based in Johannesburg, South Africa. The Nedbank Group is one of South Africa's four largest banks, with Nedbank Limited as our principal banking subsidiary. We are a JSE Top 40 company with a market capitalisation of R93 billion as at 31 December 2015. Old Mutual plc is our majority shareholder and has 54,1% ownership of Nedbank Group.
Mike has been the Chairman of the South African Chapter of the International Project Finance Association for the past seven years, is a member of the Governing Boards of the African Infrastructure Investment Fund and the South African Infrastructure Fund, two of the largest Infrastructure Funds in South Africa and is also a Director of Companies. In 2016, Mike received the Nedbank Group CEO’s Top Achiever of the Year Award and in 2015, he and his energy team were the recipients of the Nedbank Group CEO’s Top Team of the Year Award.
Mike is a CA (SA) who spent 10 years at Arthur Andersen and has had 22 years investment banking experience, with the past 18 years being primarily focused on the financing of large scale infrastructure projects in Africa.
He has been extensively involved in most of the large scale infrastructure projects in Southern Africa and over the past fifteen years has originated and led his team to a number of landmark transactions, which have secure in excess of 25 international awards for Nedbank. These transactions include inter-alia:
- the Bakwena Platinum Tollroad refinancing - the largest refinancing in SA,
- the Neotel financing - the largest limited recourse financing in SA,
- two successive capital raises for Neotel totalling ZAR2bn,
- the Seacom Undersea Cable project – the first debt financed undersea cable for Africa,
- the New Dawn Satellite project – the first debt financed African satellite,
- the restructure and exit of a mobile telecommunications transaction in Southern Africa,
- the Mamba Cement financing, the first project financing by a Chinese corporate in Africa,
- the commercial funding for the 300MW Lake Turkana Wind farm in Kenya, the largest wind farm project in sub-Saharan Africa,
- the funding for the Cenpower 340MW Combined Cycle Gas Turbine Power Plant in Ghana,
- the ZAR 5,8bn Sasol ROMPCO pipeline refinancing,
- the provision of a bilateral debt facility to Air Liquide Large Industry to fund Sasol’s Train 17 gas project,
- the funding for the Amandi 192MW combined cycle gas turbine power plant in Ghana,
- the ZAR3,3bn acquisition financing to support the sale of Neotel to Liquid Telecommunications Limited.
Most recently he has led the Energy team to the position of largest lender to the South Africa’s renewable energy procurement programme REIPPP, having secured funding to 42 of the 92 deals allocated through 4 biding rounds, totalling approximately ZAR114 billion project value.
T: +44 20 7384 8056
69-71 Fulham High Street
T: +65 6590 3978
78 Shenton Way
Houston - USA
T: +1 713 353 4633
Two Allen Center, 1200 Smith Street, Floor 16, Suite 6061
Houston, TX, 77002
Lagos - Nigeria
T: +44 787 550 6366
No. 92 Oduduwa Crescent,
+27 21 001 3884
Corner Main Rd & Dean Street