Assembly Day 1: Tuesday, 10 April 2018
North Africa Investment Outlook, Energy Economics and Opportunities in the Region
Welcome Address - Iain Pitt, CEO, Energy Council
Welcome Address – Pippa Brown, Director, Africa, Energy Council
Shifting Geopolitics and Economic Reforms: Weathering the storm in North Africa
- What does the deal to cut production by OPEC and some non-OPEC producers mean for shifting global politics and can compliance be guaranteed?
- What affect has the Persian Gulf Diplomatic Crisis had on energy in the MENA region?
- How can the Arab Maghreb Union (AMU) be revitalised to achieve its goal of building a powerful economic bloc in the region?
- What economic reforms are underway in North Africa and how has this influenced the political stability of the Region?
- What is the security outlook for the region and how will it affect investment in energy?
Networking Morning Coffee Break
The Future of Investment in Energy in North Africa: Outlook from the West and the Far-East
- Will investment in North Africa from Asia dwarf investment from the West?
- Which projects came online in 2017 and what insight does this give to future investments? Is the power sector expected to account for largest share of investments in the next 5 years?
- Initial Public Offerings (IPOs) are on the rise in the region. How will this affect FDI in to North Africa?
- What impact does North African credit worthiness have on foreign investments and how can this be overcome?
- Is the solution to the growing domestic energy demand to invest in unconventionals freeing up hydrocarbon resources for export?
Middle Eastern Investment Insight: Opportunities in North Africa in 2018 and Beyond
- GCC Islamic financing is fast becoming the favoured financial instrument in the region. What does this mean for future investments?
- How significant is the role of Islamic Finance and Sharia-compliant funds for North African Oil and Gas Investments?
- With the Gulf Countries undergoing a diversification effort, is North Africa an attractive investment option?
Networking Afternoon Coffee Break
North Africa Energy mix: The Growth of Gas and the Opportunities it Affords in the Region
- Will gas be the only fossil fuel to grow it’s share in the global energy mix in the next 20 years?
- The MENA Region has seen a significant growth in LNG. How will this impact future investments?
- The need to optimize sales of gas to Europe and the Middle East as Australian liquefaction capacity grows
- The Zohr field is expected to come on-line in late 2017. Will this create the potential for Egypt to again be a significant LNG exporter in the future?
- Which markets make sense for North African gas sales? Do pipelines to Europe as well as pipelines from the Med to South Stream or Blue Stream pose the most potential or is investment in LNG capabilities required?
- Recent discoveries in the offshore Mediterranean area and Israel - considering the opportunities for North Africa
- What lessons can be learned from Europe when it comes to the monetization of gas?
End of Day 1
Assembly Day 2: Wednesday, 11 April 2018
North Africa Country Spotlights
Spotlight on Algeria: Achieving ambitions goals in a tough economic climate
- How can the target to achieve a 20% increase in oil & gas production be achieved?
- What affect does the fall in export revenues have on fiscal balances and investment programmes?
- Discussion on the future potential in shale output – regulations, infrastructure and the need for foreign investment and technology
Spotlight on Egypt: Encouraging FDI and plans for becoming a Regional Energy Hub
- What reforms are under way in Egypt to revamp the Energy Sector making it attractive for FDI?
- What role will The Investment Act (2017) and the formation of the Supreme Investment Council play in incentivising FDI?
- Will Egypt’s decision to hike fuel prices help to settle outstanding debts to IOCs and encourage further investment in the country?
- How can Egypt achieve its ambition of becoming a regional and global hub for energy generation, transmission, and distribution to Europe?
Networking Morning Coffee Break
Spotlight on Libya: Open for business
Spotlight on Morocco: Update on the Jorf Lasfar Gas-to-Power Project
- The role of the Jorf Lasfar GTP Project in Morocco’s efforts in diversification of energy supply
- Overview of the project: maritime jetty for LNG tankers, LNG regasification unit, two combined cycle gas turbine power plants ("CCGT") with combined capacity of 2400 MW and a 400 km high-pressure gas pipeline to connect the LNG terminal to the existing Maghreb-Europe high-pressure gas pipeline.
Spotlight on Sudan: Attracting foreign investment post lifting of sanctions
Spotlight on Tunisia
End of Day 2
T: +44 20 7384 8056
69-71 Fulham High Street
T: +65 6590 3978
78 Shenton Way
Houston - USA
T: +1 713 353 4633
Two Allen Center, 1200 Smith Street, Floor 16, Suite 6061
Houston, TX, 77002
Lagos - Nigeria
T: +44 787 550 6366
No. 92 Oduduwa Crescent,
+27 21 001 3884
Corner Main Rd & Dean Street